4F Maritime Science
History of maritime science
Chronological table showing the history of maritime science in Korea and the world.
Maritime observation and forecasting
- World Maritime Observation System :
- Introduce the concept and operational backgrounds of GOOS (Global Ocean Observing System).
- Maritime Observation Platform :
- Introduce the function of ARGO (Array for Real-time Geostrophic Oceanography) and exhibit buoy.
- Korea National Maritime Observation Network :
- Introduce the importance of offshore disaster forecasting in connection with maritime observation network of Korea.
Exploration of Deep Sea
- Virtual world of deep sea :
- The environment of the deep sea is produced in computer graphic images.
- Haemirae and Haenubi :
The process of the development of deep sea submersibles as well as views of the deep sea are shown.
The Ocean System Safety Research Center in KORDI (Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute) donated the model of Haemirae.
- The Clarion-Clipperton Waters* :
- Introduce the deep sea manganese nodule mining area exclusively owned by Korea and deep sea light concentrating system.
- The Clarion-Clipperton Waters :
- In 2002, Korea acquired sole mining right for the 75,000㎢ area located 2,000㎞ southeast from Hawaii. In the 40,000㎢ area first designated for mining, the rate of probable manganese nodule ore reserves is 7㎏ per 1㎡, and the total potential quantity is 275 million tons. Supposing that the yearly production is 3 million tons, its import substitution effect will be 1.4 trillion won.